Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Best Low Carb Bread

One of the toughest things about staying on a low carb diet is the simple lack of decent bread. Now, my wife absolutely loves the stuff. Loves the flavor, the texture, dreams of bread. So for her this was a big issue all by itself.

For me, the main problem was that bread is such a handy container for other types of food.It's so easy to slap together a delicious sandwich on the run, and so delicious to dip bread in egg and fry it up for a high protein slice of deliciousness.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the future has arrived, kids: low carb bread is a reality. And you're going to find it in an unlikely package. A package that doesn't mention the carb count anywhere except the nutrition facts panel. It's a super secret low carb bread and I'm here to tell you it is AWESOME and I think it must even be nutritious.

You can only get it at Trader Joe's, which I know don't exist all over the world so I'll offer up an alternative for a minute, but right now I've got to get down with telling you all about by favoritest low carb bread in the world, because ladies and gents it is the stuff. The flavor, the texture, it's like a delicious hearty old world bread and it weighs in at just 4 net carbs per slice.

Let me go ahead and put this in a nice big heading so internet searchers can find it:

The best low carb bread is Trader Joe's Sprouted 7-Grain bread, which has just 4 carbs per slice!



The thing I like best about the bread is how well it holds egg. The wife and I love love love some french toast, and when we're feeling fancy we even love to make some croque messiur--remind me to give you the recipe, it's delicious ham sandwich on egged bread.

Also, it's not full of artificial crap and too much fiber like so many of the "low carb" low carb products. This stuff isn't even labeled low carb! It just happens to be this great and not have any carbs. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure not complaining.

For those of you living in parts of the country without access to a Trader Joe's grocery store, I highly recommend making a big road trip and stocking up your freezer :D

Of course, you're probably not willing to do that for bread so here's an alternative I've found recently that is also quite good and I find on sale through my local Jewel Osco grocery store. The brand name is Healthy Life and they make a whole line of lower-carb bread food products. They have a loaf of soft whole wheat that weighs in at just 5 grams of carbs per slice.

But, to be honest, what I do is spring for the one extra carb per slice in their loaf of white bread, and use it to wrap up hot dogs or polish sausages just like a little low carb bun. Slap a little Mt. Olive sugar free sweet relish on there and heaven relocates itself into your kitchen, and then into your mouth, and then into your belly (and then into your sweet low carb ass!)

So, this Healthy Life low carb bread I know is available en masse, so check for it at your local grocery store and if it's not there then burn the place to the ground! (or at least ask the manager to get the stuff in there pronto!)

No comments: